Installing first KMS Server
Below are the steps I used to install the KMS server. We determined that due to the number of client activations, and the capacity of our infrastructure we had no problems installing this server on our secondary domain controller. From here on we will call it DC1.
- On the Domain Controller we run CMD with elevation
- Type slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx where the last section is the Key from your volume licensing website.
- Open “Windows Firewall with Advanced Security” via Start menu -> Administrative Tools.
- Under Inbound Rules scroll down to “Key Management Service (TCP-In)”, right click and select enable.
- Reboot the machine – note you can restart the Software Licensing service but I preferred to reboot it (seeing as the server was not in use for anything else)